Find Local Steel Building Dealers & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Get Free Quotes >>
Search Our Site
Steel & Modular Building Articles
Get Free Steel Building Price Quotes
Compare Residential Metal Building Prices
Although you may have heard of steel being used to build warehouses, barns, and other storage facilities, the idea of residential steel buildings may seem a bit unusual. But, the same reasons that make steel a desirable building material for a wide range of commercial and industrial applications—cost effectiveness, speed, eco friendliness, and low maintenance—also make it an outstanding choice for residential construction. As we move towards a more practical and sustainable society, people are looking for materials that provide more efficiency and less environmental impact. If you want to be on the cutting edge of home construction, then keep reading to find out more about residential metal buildings, including how much you can expect to pay for one.
Reasons to Buy a Residential Steel Building
Residences constructed from steel provide a number of advantages over those made from traditional building materials, including:
- Price and Speed: All of the pieces for a residential metal building are pre-fabricated, which makes construction more closely resemble assembly. As a result, pre-engineered steel buildings can reduce labor costs by around 1/3 and be ready to move into much sooner than conventionally built residences.
- Maintenance-free quality: Steel has a superior strength to weight ratio, and steel residential buildings are, therefore, stronger and lighter than traditionally framed buildings. Also, because metal stands up better to the elements, structures made from it do not warp, crack or shrink the way wood buildings do. In fact, some steel building manufacturers are so confident in their products that they offer 30 year guarantees.
- Better for you and the environment: One of the greatest benefits of using steel building kits for residences is that they provide outstanding indoor air quality due to their ability to resist the growth of molds. A residential metal building also does not require the chemical additives that a wooden structure often does to keep away termites and other pests. And you'll also be creating a lower ecological impact with prefab steel buildings because they generate less waste and the metal is 100% recyclable.
- Customized looks: A steel residential building can be made to look just like any other home on the block, both inside and out. The layout, decoration, finish, and insulation are totally customizable, so you won't have to sacrifice aesthetics or comfort to get an affordable, low-maintenance, environmentally friendly metal residential building.
Residential Steel Building Average Costs - Samples
Fluctuations in material costs and local and individual supplier pricing means that actual steel building prices can be difficult to pin down. The following figures should only be used as a rough overview of metal building prices.
- The cost (materials, delivery, concrete foundation, and assembly) to build a residential steel building is approximately $20 to $40 per square foot or more.
- A poured concrete foundation for residential steel buildings costs about $5 to $10 per square foot.
- Adding insulation to a steel residential building costs approximately $1 to $3 per square foot.
- For accessories such as windows and doors, factor in an additional 15-25% (includes delivery fees and installation).
- Anyone interested in building a do-it-yourself residential steel building can expect to pay around $10 to $20 per square foot for materials. If you need help with labor, factor in another $5 to $10 per square foot.
- Residential steel homes with the following square footage might cost approximately:
- A 1,500 square foot residence: $30,000 to $60,000
- A 2,400 square foot residence: $50,000 to $100,000
- A 5,000 square foot residence: $100,000 to $200,000