Atlas Copco Air Compressors: A Comprehensive Guide to Types, Costs, and Reviews
Last Updated: June 19, 2023
CostOwl.com note: Need an air compressor at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our air compressor partners will send you free price quotes.
On This Page
Atlas Copco was founded in 1873 as AB Atlas, a Swedish company that manufactured railroad equipment, steam engines, and steel components for bridges, buildings, and churches. They have steadily expanded over the years. Today, they are a world leading provider of industrial productivity solutions that manufacturing products in 20 countries and selling them in 170 markets. Atlas Copco makes and markets a wide range of air technology products, including oil free, oil-injected, stationary, and portable air compressors.
Types of Atlas Copco Air Compressors #
Atlas Copco offers a huge lineup of air compressors. In an effort to help identify the machine that is right for you, it is helpful to break down the company's numerous compressors into categories, starting with compressor type.
- Reciprocating compressors: This type of air compressor uses a piston-driven motor to compress air and force it into a storage tank. Although generally very affordable, reciprocating compressors are usually louder and have a longer "duty cycle," which is the amount of time per hour that a compressor can work before it has to rest and cool down.
- Rotary compressors: Instead of pistons, rotary compressors have two large screws that rotate within a sealed compartment and build up pressure. A rotary compressor typically has a 100% duty cycle, meaning it can operate continually.
- Centrifugal compressors: These are extremely powerful compressors that use rotating blades to highly pressurize air. They can cost millions of dollars and are only suitable for large-scale industrial operations such as power plants. An Atlas Copco air compressor can further be categorized by whether it is lubricated or oil free.
- Oil-lubricated air compressors use oil in the compression chamber, and this can introduce small amounts of oil into the air supply. Although most pneumatic tools can tolerate this, in some applications, including semiconductor and food, any amount of oil is unacceptable.
- Oil-free air compressors are not truly "oil less," but they do not have any oil in the compression chamber, ensuring a supply of oil-free air. Oil-free air compressors tend to be more expensive and louder than lubricated models, however. A final way to divide Atlas Copco air compressors is according to their portability.
- Permanently installed (stationary) air compressors are typically laid on a concrete slab in the direct vicinity of the area that needs compressed air. If installing a stationary compressor inside of an interior room, make sure it has proper sound barriers and airflow to deal with the machine's considerable heat, air, and noise.
- Atlas Copco also makes a number of portable air compressors that can be towed from one job site to another. These large compressors are free-standing once delivered and significantly more powerful than smaller portable compressors.
Average Atlas Copco Air Compressors Costs #
Because Atlas Copco has a vast selection of air compressors, you'll need to talk to a qualified dealer to get the full run down on the company's air technology products. The following examples, however, should give you a basic understanding of how much you can expect to pay for an Atlas Copco air compressor.
- An Atlas Copco air compressor with 5 HP might cost around $1,000 to $2,500 (reciprocating) and $2,500 to $5,000 (rotary).
- At 10 HP, and Atlas Copco air compressor costs approximately $3,500 to $7,000.
- An Atlas Copco air compressor with 25 HP costs around $8,000 to $12,000 (reciprocating) and $7,500 to $10,000 (rotary).
- A 50 HP Atlas Copco compressor might cost $12,000 to $18,000 and up.
- At 100 HP, and Atlas Copco compressor costs approximately $20,000 to $40,000.
- Due to the outstanding quality of Atlas Copco machines, there is a huge market for the company's used air compressors. Depending on the age and capability of the model, you can expect to pay anywhere from around $2,500 to $70,000 for a unit that has anywhere from 10 to 1,200 HP.
Sample Pricing for Atlas Copco Air Compressors #
|2020040088||Atlas Copco CR7.5-TS Contractor 13-HP 30-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor w/ Electric Start Honda Engine||$3,700.00|
|8153611317||Atlas Copco SF4+ AP 5-HP Tankless Oil-Free Mono Scroll Air Compressor w/ Elektronikon Controller (208/230/460V 3-Phase 116 PSI)||$9,700.00|
|2020040036||Atlas Copco CR10-TS Professional 10-HP 120-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (208V 3-Phase)||$5,700.00|
|2020040037||Atlas Copco CR10-TS Professional 10-HP 120-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (230V 3-Phase)||$5,700.00|
|2020040038||Atlas Copco CR10-TS Professional 10-HP 120-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (460V 3-Phase)||$5,700.00|
|2020040040||Atlas Copco CR10-TS Professional 10-HP 120-Gallon Two-Stage Packaged Air Compressor (208V 3-Phase)||$6,100.00|
|8153290922||Atlas Copco G7 10-HP Tankless AP Rotary Screw Air Compressor (208-230/460V 3-Phase)||$8,200.00|
|8153604288||Atlas Copco SF22+ AFF HC 7.5-HP To 30-HP Tankless Oil-Free Multi Scroll Air Compressor w/ Elektronikon Controller & Dryer (460V 3-Phase 112 PSI)||$45,300.00|
|8153602688||Atlas Copco SF8+ AFF LC 5-HP / 10-HP Tankless Oil-Free Multi Scroll Air Compressor w/ Elektronikon Controller & Dryer (200V 3-Phase 100 PSI)||$20,600.00|
Pros of Atlas Copco Air Compressors #
- Reliable performance and excellent build quality
- Durable and long-lasting
- Superior quality compared to other brands
- Oil-free feature for clean air output and minimal maintenance
- User-friendly controls
- Wide range of options to suit different needs
- Responsive customer service
Watch: Meet the Atlas Copco GA 90+-160 VSD | Atlas Copco Compressors #
Watch this video to review the latest GA Atlas Copco air compressor.