How Much Does a Swimming Pool Enclosure Cost?
Last Updated: January 26, 2022
A swimming pool enclosure, in addition to adding privacy and security, is a great way to protect your pool from leaves, pollen, and insects. To learn more about the different kinds of swimming pool enclosures and how much they cost, continue reading this buying guide.
Types of Swimming Pool Enclosures #
A brief description of pool enclosure options is provided below.
- A pool enclosure can either be a permanent or portable structure. An outdoor pool enclosure usually consists of a greenhouse type of structure or an inflatable bubble canopy.
- Indoor pool enclosures are constructed from wood, vinyl, or metal (aluminum, iron, and stainless steel). Each material has pros and cons in terms of price and durability.
- A four season pool enclosure is enclosed in glass or Plexiglas, while a seasonal pool enclosure is screened in (screened in pool enclosures may be appropriate for year round use in warmer climates).
- Both above ground pool enclosures and in-ground pool enclosures are available.
- Choose from pool enclosures with a retractable roof (automated or manual) and those with a non-retractable roof.
- An enclosure roof can be flat or have a more ornamental design such as peak, gable, hip, or mansard.
- Permanent pool enclosures (or "pool houses") can be a standalone unit or attached to the home.
- Basic enclosures are designed to cover little more than the pool itself, while more elaborate structures encompass an area large enough for a patio.
- Pool houses can include HVAC for heating and cooling in addition to electrical wiring.
Reasons to Install a Swimming Pool Enclosure #
No matter what type of swimming pool enclosure you install, it will provide a number of benefits, including the following:
- Convenience: A swimming pool enclosure is a step up from a pool cover, which doesn't allow swimming while it's in use. Plus, telescopic or retractable pool enclosures allow you to modify the amount of sunlight that comes in and accordingly enjoy a warmer or cooler climate depending on your mood and needs.
- Safety: Unfortunate pool accidents involving pets and children can be prevented by controlling who and what has access to the pool area. An alarm system can enhance the safety of a pool enclosure.
- Thermal Efficiency: A glass pool enclosure magnifies and traps the sun's heat, which allows your pool to warm up faster and stay warmer even beyond the warmest months.
- Value: A pool enclosure can be a great place to entertain guests and if you ever decide to sell your home, will increase its resale value.
Pool Enclosure Average Cost #
Depending on your location, the pool enclosure design and materials, and the complexity of the installation, actual pool enclosure costs may vary. To receive the most accurate pool enclosure prices, fill out the form below to receive quotes from prescreened contractors in your area.
- The average cost of a pool enclosure based on nationwide data is approximately $10,000.
- Screened pool enclosures cost around $15 to $25 per square foot.
- An aluminum pool enclosure might cost $15 to $25 per square foot.
- Glass swimming pool enclosures cost roughly $40 to $60 per square foot.
- Gazebo-style or retractable pool enclosures might cost $50 to $200 per square foot.
- A cheaper option is a simple pool fence, which could cost under $100 or $1,000+.