How Much Does Metal Roof Painting Cost?
Last Updated: January 21, 2022
On This Page
Metal roofing material is durable enough to withstand the elements about four times longer than other traditional roofing materials. However, recoating and/or repainting are necessary to preserve its resistance to corrosion and breakdown. Proper maintenance of your metal roof will ensure it delivers the full term of its durability.
Signs Your Metal Roof Needs To Be Painted #
Your metal roof is an investment and protecting it means performing annual inspections and necessary upkeep. Common signs of surface wear and degradation to look for include:
- Chalky appearance
- Stubborn Staining
- Peeling or bubbling paint
- Flaking, splitting, or cracking paint
Average Costs to Paint Metal Roofing #
- On average it costs $2.50 to $3.50 per square foot to paint a metal roof. Therefore, a 2,500 square foot roof will cost between $6,250.00 and $8,750. This should include all labor and supplies.
- Many roofing companies offer at least 20 year warranty on future breakdown (i.e. fading, peeling, etc.), and some up to 50 years. Always inquire about a vendor's references.
Professional metal roofing services have experience in the correct procedures that deliver lasting roof repair, prep work, and painting. Methods for painting metal roofing can differ according to the grade of your roof and whether it is composed of:
- Stainless steel
- Corrugated galvanized steel
- Stone coated steel
- Metal blends (zinc, aluminum, and silicon-coated steel), etc.
Keep in mind additional costs of doing it yourself. These are mostly associated with equipment and critical preliminary prep work required prior to applying paint to a metal roof.
- Power washing to remove any dirt, stains, rust, or flaking paint is imperative. If you do not own one, renting a power washer typically costs between $50 and $115 per day. You can purchase an electric power washer for $80 to $275. Gas powered pressure washers can cost thousands of dollars, but one sufficient to pressure wash a metal roof will cost between $200 and $550. Sears sells the Craftsman 2500 PSI, 2.3 GPM Briggs & Stratton Powered Pressure Washer for $279.88.
- It is easiest and safest to apply primers, protective coatings, and/or paint with a paint sprayer. Rent or purchase an airless paint sprayer (with 1800 to 3000 psi material output pressure) to effectively coat most types of metal roofing. Average rental costs are between $30 and $175 per day. Purchasing an adequate paint sprayer for this type of job ranges from $350 to $1200. Wayfair sells the Campbell Hausfeld 1/2 HP, 0.28 GPM Cart Mounted Airless Paint Sprayer- PS231B for $555.99 online.
- Expect to pay between $150 and $700 per 5 gallon container of primer or top coating/paint. Typically a 2500 square foot metal roof will require 7 to 10 – 5 gallon containers of primer or coating. Always confirm which type of primers, paints, or other coatings are best suited for your specific metal roof type and grade. Ace Hardware has 5 gallon containers of Ames Iron Coat Metal Roof Coating for $159.99. Lowes offers Kymax Metal Roof Top Coating (5 gallons), in custom colors, for $669.95.