Find Local Childproofing Experts & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
All Home Service Articles
Child Proofing Service Prices
The leading cause of death among children in the United States is accidental injury. Many of these fatal accidents are preventable, however, especially when parents abandon the "not my child" belief and take steps to keep their children safe. One such step, child proofing (also known as baby proofing), is usually performed to some degree by households with children. But, using a professional child proofing service is an extra measure against making sure your little one doesn't end up as a tragic statistic. Below, you'll find information about child proofing and how much the service costs.
About Child Proofing Services
It's not a knock on your parenting skills to admit that you could use some help safeguarding your home against safety risks. Professional childproofers are trained to identify potential hazards to your child and recommend ways to address them. You may choose, after a consultation, to implement the solutions yourself or allow the professional to child proof your home. If you decide to go with the latter option, you will be billed for labor in addition to the cost of safety products.
Childproofing should be done before a child starts crawling (usually around 3-6 months of age). When child proofing your home, a professional typically focuses on the following areas:
- Doors: Doors that open at the top of stairs are of particular concern, though you'll probably want to child proof doors to restrict access to certain rooms as well. Gates, locks, and door knob covers are commonly used to secure these areas.
- Cabinets and drawers: Child proof cabinets and drawers are a must for keeping children away from hazardous items such as knives, medicines, and cleaning products.
- Outlet covers: Electrocution is a common cause of injury among children that can be prevented by installing child proof outlet covers.
- Windows: Child proof windows protect against not only falls out of second story and above rooms, but also have shortened blind cord wraps to cut down on the risk of strangulation.
- Edge cushions: Sharp corners and edges that children might fall onto or run into can be identified by a child proofer and reinforced with guards/cushions.
Child Proofing Service Average Costs
The principal factors affecting the cost of child proofing services are the size of your home and amount of child proofing performed.
- If you merely want a consultation from a child proofing professional, expect to pay around $50 to $100. This service includes safety solution recommendations, but you are responsible for actually purchasing and installing any equipment.
- Complete child proofing services cost approximately $300 to $1,500. Child proofing a two bedroom, two bath apartment might cost $300 to $600, while a two story home could run $600 to $1,500.