Pricing Guide for POS Systems in Coffee Shops or Cafes
Last Updated: January 25, 2023
CostOwl.com note: Need a POS system at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our POS system partners will send you free price quotes.
On This Page
Businesses are advancing at a rapid pace, embracing the latest technologies and systems to compete with their rivals. The latest point of sale (POS) systems are designed for the convenience of businesses, to make dealings easier and more accurate. Given that coffee is one of the most consumed beverage in the world, Coffee shop POS systems offer owners the latest and most advanced POS technologies, including integration with customer loyalty programs, online ordering, and management tools and applications.
Sample Prices for Coffee Shop POS Systems #
There are two types of coffee shop POS systems, in-house systems and cloud-based. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. While the in-house systems may look more present and efficient, it requires on-site setup and maintenance. These are traditional systems and their providers charge software licensing fees per register plus an additional maintenance fee. This can be expensive in the long run, which is why many coffee shops are turning to cloud-based POS systems. These systems are less expensive, in terms of both setup and monthly fees, and some are even offered free-of-charge with limited features. They also easily grow with your business. However, your shop needs a strong internet connection, as the system won’t work without it. Although it is difficult to come up with an actual price for each of these systems, the following rough estimates give you a good idea of their costs.
- In-house systems average between $2,000 and $3,000 to purchase and install.
- The upgrades for an in-house coffee POS system can be expensive, averaging between 15% and 20% of your initial cost.
- The installation fee for an in-house system averages between $100 and $150.
- A basic cloud-based POS system averages between $150 and $180 per month, including setup charges.
- A mid-line cloud-based system, with upgraded processor and receipt printing, averages between $180 and $200 per month, including the setup charges.
- The most advanced cloud-based POS system includes multiple features and averages between $200 and $250 per month, including the installation charges.
- Cloud-based systems without hardware cost less. Each system averages between $100 and $120 per month for the first station and an extra $50 to $70 for all each additional station.
Watch: Best POS for Cafe/Coffee Shops in 2023 #
Watch this video to find out what the best coffee shop POS systems are right now.
Pros of Coffee Shop POS Systems #
The right POS system for your coffee shop integrates a variety of tools and systems that help you run your business more effectively. For example, analytic tools provide a variety of data that help you reduce waste, maximize profits, and improve delivery of your services. Happy customers are repeat customers. In addition, some features improve employee productivity, giving you more bang for your payroll buck.
POS system include a number of safety features designed to keep your and your customers' data secure. The system also tracks sales, allowing you to monitor register transactions without actually being present.
Points to Consider before Choosing a Coffee Shop POS System #
- Speed: If your system moves quickly, lines move quickly, too. Ideally, the system access all product information, reducing time spent in the checkout line and improving customer satisfaction and bringing them back another day.
- Trends: Analytic tools help you determine business trends: who's buying what and when. This information helps you create effective marketing programs and promotions.
- Inventory management: The best POS systems include capabilities to track and sort inventory, with top systems incorporating ordering and stock replenishment.
- Features: Consider your needs carefully when looking at features. Popular choices for restaurants include systems that help manage personnel, including payroll, time tracking, breaks, output, and more.