Search Our Site
Office Furniture Articles
Office Computer Desk Prices
Computer desks are a necessity in almost every office. Whether you have five employees or 500, you want to invest in computer desks that are sturdy and reliable, not desks that will fall apart after a year or two.
Functionality is also of critical importance. You want desks that are large enough to hold each employee's computer equipment while also leaving significant workspace. Most of the time, you'll also want features such as drawers, filing cabinets, pullout keyboards, and mouse trays.
About Office Computer Desks
The vast majority of office computer desks are made of laminate - essentially just a plastic finish applied to a wooden core. Laminate desks are far less expensive and much easier to maintain than solid wood desks. They come in a variety of finishes, from wood grain to solid colors.
Some office desks are made of wood veneer, or plywood. These desks are sturdier and longer lasting, but they're also more expensive. Metal desks are available too, although they're not as common.
Office Computer Desk Average Costs
Most computer office desks cost anywhere from $200 to $2,000. The price depends on the quality of materials, size, and the configuration.
- A Bestar Hamilton laminate corner computer desk with a slide-out keyboard tray retails for $350 to $500.
- A Bush Series 72-inch double pedestal desk made of laminate retails for about $700 to $900. The desk has three file drawers, two supply drawers, and a USB hub. It also comes with a 10-year warranty.
- The Kathy Ireland by Martin wood veneer desk in an oak finish with four utility drawers and two file drawers sells for $1,200 to $1,800. The drawers are all on sturdy ball bearing slides.
If you need extra storage space you might consider purchasing a hutch to accompany each computer desk. But, plan on spending significantly more. Full-sized laminate desks with a hutch often run $700 to $2,000.
Keep in mind that most dealers offer discounts for large orders. Be sure to ask if a volume discount is available before placing your order. Some dealers include the price of shipping; others charge extra. Make sure to inquire about that, too.
Choosing an Office Computer Desk
Quality is one of the most important considerations in selecting computer office desks. Saving a few hundred dollars upfront is not worth the risk of buying a flimsy desk that will fall apart in a couple years.
When you're inspecting a computer office desk, there are a few telltale signs of high quality:
- Is the laminate a thick, high pressure grade? These are better able to withstand day-to-day use over long periods of time than thin, low pressure grades.
- If you're buying a metal desk, how heavy is it? The heavier the desk, the higher the quality.
- How are the drawers constructed? Are the easy to open and close or do they get stuck? High quality drawers will be put together using an interlocking dovetail construction, not staples or glue.