How Much Does a CAT Excavator Cost?
Last Updated: December 21, 2021
On This Page
CostOwl.com note: Need an excavator at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our excavator partners will send you free price quotes.
Caterpillar is among the most recognized names in construction equipment. For more than half a century, CAT has built a reputation for high quality and long lasting machines. Their excavators are no exception. The machines have a long useful life and a high resale value.
There are dozens of CAT excavator models from which to choose at a wide variety of price points. This guide will give you a better idea of how much you can expect to pay for each one.
About CAT Excavators #
CAT excavators are pieces of heavy construction equipment that consist of four main parts: a boom, a bucket, a stick, and a cab that sits atop a rotating platform. They are powered by hydraulic fluid.
There are a variety of uses for excavators, including: digging foundations, holes, and trenches; demolition; landscaping and grading; earthmoving; forestry work and brush clearing; mining; and heavy lifting.
CAT Excavator Average Costs #
CAT excavators range in price from about $100,000 to more than $850,000. The price depends on the size of the excavator, its weight, horsepower, and other features.
- Small CAT excavators range in price from $100,000 to about $230,000. These models weigh about 26,000 to 55,000 pounds and have horsepower ranging from 79 to 188.
- Medium-sized CAT excavators cost $230,000 to $270,000. They weigh about 65,000 to 80,000 pounds and have horsepower ranging from 204 to 268.
- Large models start at about $400,000 and run upwards of $830,000. The offer 380 to 523 horsepower and weigh between 100,000 and 200,000 pounds.
- Demolition models weigh in at about 105,000 to 218,000 pounds with 270 to 530 horsepower. They're also the most expensive, ranging in price from about $387,000 to upwards of $850,000.
Keep in mind that the prices above are manufacturers' suggested retail prices. Actual prices can vary from one dealer to another. And any custom features or upgrades you select will add to the total price.
Watch: Overview of the Cat® Next Generation 306 CR Mini Excavator #
Watch this video to learn how the New Cat 315 GC Excavator Different from the older model.
Financing a CAT excavator #
If you can't afford to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars at once to buy a CAT excavator, don't worry. CAT offers financing options. A dealer will be able to walk you through the credit application process and explain the total cost of financing. You can also finance a CAT excavator through your bank or another outside lender.
For those who don't want to make a large down payment, leasing is another option. You'll make monthly payments on the excavator over a period of years. Then, when the lease ends you'll have the option to buy the excavator or trade it in for a new one.
- List of Caterpillar Inc. Machines
- Cat Excavator Sizes: A Guide
- The Various Types of Excavators and Their Applications