How Much Does a Concrete Walkway Cost?
Last Updated: January 19, 2022
A smooth, new concrete walkway is a great addition to any home landscape. Colors, patterns, textures, and other custom effects transform concrete from plain gray to one-of-a-kind but add to walkway costs. Cost is also determined by the size and shape of the walkway as well as the amount of prep work required to level the area. Most contractors can handle an average-sized walkway in one day. Pouring concrete is a moderately-difficult DIY project.
Concrete Walkway Average Costs #
The cost of a concrete walkway is largely determined by the type of concrete poured.
- A plain concrete walkway costs $4 to $6 per square foot.
- Adding a single color or simple finish to the concrete raises the price to $6 to $10 per square foot.
- Expect to pay $8 to $12 per square foot for multiple colors or more elaborate patterning such as stamping or engraving.
- Fully-custom walkways with a high level of hand-applied details (such as chemical stains or stenciling) cost $12 to $15 and up.
Other Considerations #
- The prices above reflect only the cost to build the walkway. If it's necessary to first remove existing concrete, costs will rise by approximately $2 to $6 per square foot (if hiring a pro; DIY removal is cheaper).
- Although we're accustomed to seeing concrete as the drab stuff of sidewalks, it actually has robust decorative potential. From coloring, stamping, and stenciling to acid-staining, scoring, and saw cutting, the possibilities for concrete abound.
- Even a beginner can pour a concrete walkway. It just takes a bit of planning and the ability to follow instructions (plus a building permit, in some areas, so check with your municipality). DIY Network and The Family Handyman provide step-by-step how-to guides.
- Some contractors prefer to do the entire job and may not want to come in and pour the concrete after the homeowner has down the preparation work. If you're thinking about saving money by doing part of the work yourself, talk to contractors to make sure this is an option.