Find Local Wood Gate Installation Experts & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
All Fencing Articles
Wood Gate Installation Prices
Once you've got the perfect wood fence picked out for your property, the last you'll need to choose is a gate. The most obvious wood gate choice is one that matches the fence paneling. But, you could select a wooden gate that stands out from the rest of the fence and adds a dash of style or have one custom built. This buying guide explains what you should keep in mind when buying a wood gate and provides an overview of wood gate costs.
Enter Your Zip Code and Get Free Gate Quotes Right Now From Local Companies. You Are Never Pressured to Hire Services or Purchase Anything!Try Our Free Quote Tool >>
Wood Fence Gate Considerations
The most common wood fencing designs are picket, vertical board, and post and rail. For each of these, you should have no problem finding a corresponding wooden fence gate, but in order to select one that combines the right mix of form and function, keep the following considerations in mind:
- Double or Single Swing: Whether a wood entry gate has one or two halves (or leaves) is generally determined by the width of the opening. For a single swing gate, its best to limit the width to 5' to 8', while a double swing gate should fall within the 10' to 16' range. Exceeding these measurements could result in significant structural problems.
- Safety: Wooden gates, especially larger ones made from dense wood, can be quite heavy and present a significant safety hazard for children. Installing inside jams on the gate and providing space on the latch side can ensure small fingers don't get caught in pinch points. And to combat wind, which can cause a gate to slam shut, you may want to consider a wood gate design with spaces between the pickets so that air can pass through.
- Maintenance: Wood entry gates are prone to sagging and the hinges often wear out and require maintenance well before the gate itself does. Fortunately, repairs should be minor and relatively inexpensive. Furthermore, those with basic do-it-yourself skills should be able to handle the job.
Wood Gate Average Costs
The local cost of labor and materials, the complexity of the installation, and other factors can affect the cost of a wood gate. For the most accurate wood gate prices, fill out the form provided to receive quotes from prescreened fencing contractors in your area.
- A basic wood gate costs approximately $100 to $500, although elaborate gates could cost $500 to $1,500 or more.
- Hiring a carpenter to build a custom wood gate could cost around $35 to $75 per hour.
- Installation of wood fence gates costs roughly $4 to $8 per linear foot (approximately $20 to $60 for a single gate and $50 to $125 for a double gate).