How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Handyman?
Last Updated: January 13, 2022
On This Page
The cost to hire a freelance handyman or professional handyman service can vary considerably. Where you live and the complexity of the task strongly dictates the rates you will be charged. For example, replacing a leaky faucet or putting up a few shelves is not as labor intensive, time consuming, or difficult as installing tile flooring. Furthermore, rates and fees for handyman service are often higher in metropolitan areas.
Average Costs to Hire a Handyman #
What to expect in terms of service and how it relates to average pricing for handyman service(s) is outlined below:
- Standard pricing for handyman services is set by hourly rates or with a flat fee per service.
- Contracted or independent handymen typically charge between $25 and $60 per hour.
- A handyman will charge higher rates if they offer expertise in one or more specific trades or specialties (i.e. master electrician, master plumber, HVAC service).
- Many handyman services employ several professionals that together offer a number of varied specialized skills. These businesses often charge hourly rates closer to $75 to $150 per hour.
- It is not uncommon for professional handymen to charge a minimum fee for service. This typically ranges between $100 and $300.
- When hiring a skilled handyman in an emergency situation that requires immediate attention (i.e. burst pipe, heating malfunctions) expect to pay a $50 to $125 fee. This charge for emergency, on-call service tends to be higher outside of normal business hours and, as well as on weekends.
- Especially with today's gas prices many companies expense a fuel surcharge, especially if the job at hand requires any significant travel (to the job site or supply stores). Most often, this charge is included within your price quote.
Choosing A Handyman #
Before hiring an independently contracted handyman or professional handyman service verify they are reputable and reliable:
- Establish clear terms of service. What is included within your price quote? Are there any additional fees not included within your original price quote? What are their guarantees on their work?
- Are they a certified or licensed professional? By law, in many states, certain jobs may be done only by a certified or licensed professional (i.e. plumbing).
- Many states also require handyman services carry insurance specific to their trade. Do they carry insurance that is appropriate for the type of jobs you are hiring them for?
- Ask for references (and actually call them) to confirm what you can expect for the quality of their work. Do they guarantee specific times and dates on which you can depend on their service? Are they reasonably prompt in returning your phone calls?
- Determine the amount of experience a handyman has directly regarding the task you are hiring them for. An under-qualified handyman will ultimately create quite a headache. Do they have a portfolio?
- Schedule specific dates and times for service. For larger projects dates should be set for meeting "milestone" tasks as well as for the project completion.
Receive free quotes from multiple handyman contractors. Compare companies and prices to get the best handyman service for you. It's fast, easy, and free! Start now!