How Much Does a New Bathtub Liner Cost?
Last Updated: January 12, 2022
On This Page
Shower Surround Prices #
If your bathtub is 10 to 15 years old, chances are good that it's discolored, in disrepair, or simply outdated. A new tub, however, can cost upwards of $5,000, and yours may just need a facelift, not a replacement. In that case, a cheaper alternative is to install a bathtub liner made from plastic, PVC, or acrylic. This buying guide gives you the low down on bathtub liners, including how much they cost.
Benefits of a Bathtub Liner #
There are many reasons to consider bathtub liner installation, including:
- Cost: In terms of price, tub liners are a compromise between a new bathtub and tub refinishing or reglazing. While typically installed by a professional plumber, homeowners with do-it-yourself skills will find the cost of a bathtub liner quite reasonable.
- Durability: Properly maintained bath liners can last up to twenty years, and some companies even offer a lifetime warranty.
- Easy to clean: While a porcelain tub can be difficult to keep clean, the plastic surface of a bath liner can be wiped down with minimal effort. Plus, because they're typically made from a single piece, there's no grout that needs to be scrubbed and replaced.
- Customization: With a wide range of tub insert colors and styles to choose from, you should have no problem matching, or even upgrading, your bathroom's look.
- Comfort: Tub inserts provide better insulation than porcelain, resulting in bath water that stays warmer for longer.
Bathtub Liner Average Costs #
Professional bathtub liner installation costs approximately $750 to $4,000 or more. The lower end of the price scale reflects a simple insert for the tub alone, while the higher end is for a full tub/shower enclosure liner with shelving and other accessories. On average, bathtub liner cost should be in the neighborhood of $1,000 to $2,000.
As previously mentioned, considerable savings are available for the do-it-yourselfer, although amateurs should leave well enough alone, because an improperly installed bathroom tub liner can lead to cracks, leaks, and unhygienic conditions. DIY bathtub liners cost approximately $250 to $1,000 and up.