How Much Does It Cost To Waterproof a Basement?
Last Updated: January 12, 2022
On This Page
Basement Waterproofing actually begins outside your home. It may be wet inside but to stop the water from coming in you need to take steps to seal the home's foundation where the water is coming in.
Water seeping in the house commonly occurs at places on the foundation where the water table raises when there is moisture. Water leaking may show itself by flooding the entire basement or by a slow leak that starts to wet drywall. Any level of water coming into the basement is an unsafe level. The problem needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.
Basement Waterproofing Costs #
- Lack of gutters- Gutters will cost $5 to $10 per foot to hire a gutter installation service to install gutters. If you have a gutter problem or no gutters then this is an obvious cause of a wet basement. Especially if your area gets a lot of rain, a good gutter system that allows proper water runoff away from your home is critical to keep a dry basement.
- Foundation crack- A basement can leak no matter how good the drainage is around the foundation if there happens to be a crack. Cracks are usually a rather simple fix when they are discovered early. You may need to expose the crack by digging underneath the soil and fully expose it. You may purchase basement and masonry waterproofing paint here or at your local home improvement center. It will cost $50 to $100 for the masonry paint to waterproof your basement walls. Remember, start by investigating the exterior.
- Poor soil runoff- You may have poor runoff around your home. This can be caused by a couple of different things.
- Soil makeup-You may have a thick, dense soil such as clay. Dense soil is not going to allow space for air in it. Therefore, it will not absorb as much water or allow it to wick away like a lighter soil or sand will.
- Slop-If the slope of your land runs towards the house then it may be filtering water towards your home.
If you have a particular piece of property that is extremely wet, has poor drainage, and hasn't been fixable by the less costly methods then you may to dig deep into the soil to install a waterproofing system with PVC and stone. You can learn about foundation drains here. This will require a lot of digging installation, and moving earth back over the new drain. To hire someone to put install a foundation drain like this will cost $1,500 to $2,500.