How Much Does a Website Translation Service Cost?
Last Updated: January 06, 2022
CostOwl.com note: Need a translation service at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our translation service partners will send you free price quotes.
On This Page
Language translation is an essential service option for individuals, small businesses, and transnational firms. In a variety circumstances, it is fundamentally important and necessary that documents or other forms of information are available to more than one target audience. Translating information from one language to another is not a simple task. However, it is an easily accessible specialized service through which professionals with multilingual knowledge and specific skill sets eliminate language barriers.
Website Translation #
Website translation is one of the most cost effective ways to boost web exposure to other markets and in turn increase profits. It is costly not to offer website information to other cultural audiences. If English is the only language your website is formatted in, you are overlooking 50% of internet users, which for businesses are potential customers. Imagine what that means in terms of missed opportunities for revenue growth.
Website translation is a multifaceted process, and in addition to major linguistic differences, dialects, cultural variations, and other "language gaps" become important. Website translation is unique in comparison to other translation services because it also requires website programming knowledge. Qualified translators understand and have the necessary expertise required for the most accurate translation from original language to target language. A website translation services should offer:
- Guaranteed accurate translation of your website content including all grammar, semantics, syntax, idioms, and technical terms while translating source language to target text.
- Quality service by one or more website translation professionals and thorough editorial process performed by individuals other than the original translators. In short a translation "team" should be overseeing your website translation process.
- Definitive turn around time and price quotes prior to service, and clear disclosure of any and all additional fees
How much does a Website Translation Service Cost? #
Website translation service rates are typically priced according to the volume of site content with a flat fee charged per word (of original text). There are some services that charge by the hour. On average per word rates are between $0.06 per word to $0.40 per word. Hourly rates can range from $25 to $150 per hour. If looking for on-site service, you will most likely incur costs for a representative's travel and lodging expenses. Also keep in mind that editorial costs are not always included with the price for translation and may cost an additional $20 to $100 per hour. It is wise to speak with several different services and remember you typically get what you pay for. With almost any service expect to pay higher prices depending on:
- The complexity of the source/target language combination (i.e. English to German will cost less than English to an Asian language)
- Specialty subjects (i.e. with legal or medical terminology)
- Rush jobs with faster turn around demands
- If more than just word-for-word translation is required for any ad copy and/or marketing material
- The complexity of desktop publishing requirements
Website Translation Sample Service Costs #
- Kwintessential - German/English translation of 1000 words in 2 days - $170; same translation project in 3 or more days - $120; Chinese/English translation of 1000 words in 2 days - $225; 3+ days - $160. Higher fees apply depending on language combinations and complexity of content (i.e. technical terminology).
- Edit Designer Translation - Four hundred linguists worldwide at your service. Three professional translators are assigned to each project. Basic prices: European languages- $0.18/word; Asian languages - $0.32 per word; Slavic languages- $0.25/word. Note: Possible extra fees (i.e. technical terminology, translation of legal terms, etc.)
- BeTranslated - Per-word prices vary from $.13 to $.24 (i.e. English to French or French to English translation of a 5,000-word marketing document - $.17 to $0.23 source word ($650 or $1,140)); 20% surcharge for PowerPoint presentations and .htm/html (.php, .asp, .xml) pages; Up to a 30% additional charge may apply for rush jobs and weekend work.