How Much Does a Website Design Service Cost?
Last Updated: December 09, 2021
CostOwl.com note: Need a web design service at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our web design service partners will send you free price quotes.
Everybody needs a website. The internet is where people turn to find businesses. The Yellowpages is obsolete! Regardless of the nature or size of your business, not having a website in this quickly expanding economy is costly. Perhaps you have an established site that needs to be updated.
The benefits of a well-designed website include:
- 24/7 global exposure and customer accessibility
- Invaluable business identity and memorable branding
- Increased revenue
- Streamlining of business operations
- Decreased or eliminated costs
Compare Website Design Services #
Professional website design services offer leading advanced solutions and applications:
- Dynamic Website Design (login applications for businesses)
- Static Website Design (text based)
- Flash Website Design (visual, multimedia technology options)
- Hybrid Website Design (marries flash and static design)
- Website Maintenance (necessary for basic or emergency management & updates)
- SEO Website Design (optimize your site to increase site exposure and traffic)
- Ecommerce Website Design (numerous virtual commerce functions available)
Choosing a Website Design Service #
Web design service options range from generic templates and site design packages to elaborate custom design projects.
In terms of purchasing a template or website creation package basic considerations should include:
- Ease of use
- Number and type of templates
- Feature options (i.e. page transition effects, FTP, add keywords, etc.)
- Photo-imaging tools (available images, adjustable compressions, etc.)
- Supported operating system, hardware configurations (Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc.), & HTML compatibility (i.e. Adobe Dreamweaver, Microsoft Visual Studio Express, etc.)
- Maintenance and Support (i.e. email, phone, online tutorials, upgrades, etc.)
Many custom web design services begin a design project within the parameters of a contract. Terms should incorporate:
- Specific and clear design plans
- Number of planned revisions
- Estimated timeline for revisions and project completion
- Disclosure of all fees and costs
- Payment terms. Changes or deviations from contract terms (i.e. missed deadlines, extra revisions, major changes to the site size or complexity of design, etc.) typically require amendments to cost.
Average Website Design Costs #
The most basic website design software is sometimes marketed free of charge, but typical costs are between $50 and $100. Expect to pay $100 to $400 for a web design package, depending on included features and services. A freelance or independent web designer may charge between $200 and $500 for straightforward customization of basic preexisting templates and site applications.
When a service sets prices on an individual basis, the final quote to create or redesign a site is determined by several factors:
- Time required for design conception to completion
- The number of planned revisions and/or project extensions
- The type and number of scripts and programs
- The type and complexity of design applications
- The number of pages/content created
- The number, type (i.e. custom vs. generic), and complexity of multimedia applications and graphics
- Experience of the design service
A small to mid-size web design project can cost between $500 and $3,000. Mid- size to larger scale site design can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $8,000 or more. For large corporate, ecommerce, or dynamic site design, costs can range from $10,000 to $60,000.
Other costs and fees to consider:
- Domain Registration (i.e. www.sitenamehere.com)- $10 to $20 each year
- Hosting fees - (gives your site 24/7 internet accessibility) ranges from $10 to $50 per year
- Site maintenance - Costs vary, especially according to the number of site upgrades and updates. Typical annual costs are between $300 and $1200. Average hourly rates for site maintenance range from $40 to $200 per hour.
- SEO (search engine optimization) - valuable service to generate higher site ranking/exposure within search engine results. A reputable service may cost $400 to $1,500 per month or more