How Much Does a Used Motor Grader Cost?
Last Updated: December 09, 2021
CostOwl.com note: Need a motor grader at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our motor grader partners will send you free price quotes.
On This Page
Motor graders are costly pieces of equipment. If you're looking to purchase one on a budget, consider shopping the wide selection of used machines. With a used motor grader, you might sacrifice some of the latest features, such as GPS-guided technology. But you'll be able to find a machine in good working condition that will last for years to come.
About Used Motor Graders #
Motor graders are most often found at work in the final stages of a paving project. They're used to do the "finish grading" - creating a wide, flat surface that is ready for asphalt after machines like bulldozers and scrapers have completed the rough grading.
Motor graders can also be used for maintaining dirt and gravel roads, municipal and residential snow removal, creating inclined surfaces, as well as in forestry and mining.
There are essentially two categories of motor graders:
- Full-size motor graders have horsepower of 130 or more. They're made primarily for large-scale road construction by well-known equipment brands including Cat, Volvo, John Deer, Case and Komatsu.
- Lighter, more compact motor graders with less than 130 hp are designed for smaller-scale road construction and landscaping jobs. They're produced by names like LeeBoy and Champion.
Used Motor Grader Average Costs #
Used motor graders range in price from about $15,000 for compact models with a fair amount of wear and tear to $300,000 or more for gently-used mid-range and full-size models. That may sound like a lot of money for a used machine, but it's a significant savings over new-model prices of $60,000 to $500,000.
- A 10-year-old LeeBoy 685 compact motor grader with 110 hp and 3,000 hours might sell for $25,000 to $30,000.
- A five-year-old John Deere 670C with 140 hp and 7,000 hours of use might sell for $75,000 to $80,000.
- A three-year-old Cat 140M with 183 hp and 2,500 hours of use would likely sell for around $300,000.
If you're planning to buy a used motor grader, your best bet is to buy from an established, reputable dealer. Blindly purchasing such an expensive machine from a classified advertisement or Internet sale is a risky venture. You never know exactly what you're going to get.
In addition to the cost of your used motor grader, set aside some money in the budget for maintenance and upkeep. With a used machine it's expected that you'll need to replace parts from time to time.