Find Local Electrician & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Electrician Articles
Home Remodel Electrician Prices
There is a variety of options for homeowners who want to upgrade their home lighting. Below is a general overview of the main interior lighting choices. The prices below are based on adding a new light to an existing fixture.
- The cost to install recessed lighting is roughly $100 to $150 per light.
- A recessed light costs $10 to $35.
- To install an overhead light, ceiling fan light unit or a chandelier to an existing lighting fixture plan on around $50 to $100.
- Ceiling fan lights start at around $75 and can cost up to $500 or more.
- An average quality ceiling light fixture costs $30 to $200.
- You can pick up a chandelier for as little as $50 or as much as thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars for high end products.
- An electrician charges $75 to $100 per hour to install a new fluorescent lights.
- Fluorescent lighting fixtures cost $25 to $60.
- An electrician can charge $150 to $200 to install a single row of track lighting.
- A typical 3-light track light fixture costs $30 to $150.
- Installing sconce lighting, a bathroom light or vanity light will cost $50 to $150.
- A sconce, bathroom or vanity lights costs anywhere from $25 to $100 and up.
- A simple table or desk lamp for $10 to $50.
- The cost to install exterior lighting is $150 to $200.
- A new switch will cost $25 to $50.
- You may purchase sconce outdoor lighting for $15 to $100. You can get a motion-sensing, security light for $25 to $75.
- To install a new light fixture on a sheetrock wall, a low-end estimate is $100 to $200 for an hour of labor, plus materials. Brick or wood walls will cost more in labor accordingly. To install a new fixture on a ceiling the price can be considerably more because pieces of the drywall and ceiling need to be removed. If there is attic access it could cost as little as $200 to $300. However, if there is not, the job could be very complex and cost up to $500 to $600 or more.
Looking to buy new lighting?
- For some lighting design ideas, have a look at HGTV.com.
- Doityourself.com shows you how to install wall and ceiling light fixtures.
- When hiring an electrician get some referrals from friends, family and coworkers. Installing lights is a fairly simple job (if there is an existing fixture) and if you can't or don't want to do it yourself you could probably just hire a local handyman who will install lighting cheaper than an electrician.