Find Local Awning Installation Experts & Get Free Awning Installation Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
All Door & Window Articles
Metal or Canvas Awning Prices
An awning provides shelter from the sun, wind, and rain over outdoor areas such as decks, windows, and patios. To learn more about the different types of awnings, their benefits, and how much they cost, continue reading this buying guide.
When shopping for an awning, keep the following options in mind:
- Types: Awnings are available in a wide range of shapes, colors, and sizes and can be placed over a number of different open areas, including windows, doorways and entryways, decks, porches, and patios. An awning can also be used to provide additional shelter for an RV or to shade RV windows.
- Materials: Awnings made from canvas are popular due to their durability and relatively low cost, but the tendency of a canvas awning to take on rain and snow can create a potential safety hazard. Metal awnings (typically made from aluminum), on the other hand, are very strong and durable. Whether you choose an awning made from canvas or aluminum, its frame should be constructed from metal, although wood frames are an option for some models.
- Design: An awning can either be stationary (i.e. permanent) or retractable (can be rolled in or folded up). Stationary awnings must have sufficiently sturdy frames to protect them from rain, snow, and wind. If buying a retractable awning, choose between manual and automatic models. The latter are motorized and some even come equipped with sensors that retract and extend the awning in response to the weather.
The Benefits of an Awning
Some of the reasons why you should consider installing an awning are described below.
- Shelter: The most obvious benefit of an awning is the protection it provides from the elements. An awning will allow you to enjoy a sunny day on the patio without squinting, sweating, or getting sunburn, and it can keep the rain from ruining your cookout on the deck.
- Damage Control: Awnings, by deflecting the sun's rays and redirecting rainwater, can protect your home exterior from damage, which in the long run will cut down on maintenance costs.
- Energy Savings: Reducing sunlight and glare through the use of an awning can drastically reduce heat gain inside of the home, resulting in lower cooling costs.
Awning Average Costs
The actual cost of an awning depends on the materials, design, local costs, and installation. As a result, the following costs should only be regarded as general estimates.
- A premade fabric awning costs $100 to $750. A smaller window awning costs $150 to $350, while a slightly larger premade door awning costs $250 to $500 and a patio or deck awning $500 to $750.
- Custom made fabric awnings start at around $1,000 and can cost as much as $10,000 or more.
- Premade metal awnings cost $100 to $500 for smaller door and window units and $500 to $1,000 or more for larger patio units.
- Custom made metal awnings are typically priced by the square foot at around $10 per square foot.
- RV awnings cost $250 to $2,500.
- Motorized, retractable awnings cost $250 to $12,500.
- Adding an electric motor to an awning might cost $250 to $500.