Find Local Steel Building Dealers & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Get Free Quotes >>
Need a Small Business Loan?
Our partner lends based on the health of your business, NOT your personal credit score. Recieve a decision in minutes and get funded in as little as 1 business day.Apply Now >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
Steel & Modular Building Articles
Get Free Steel Building Price Quotes
Compare Quonset Hut Prices
The predecessor of today’s steel barns, garages, hangars, warehouses, and similar arched metal structures is the Quonset hut. First used in World War II, Quonset huts provided the military with lightweight, transportable housing and storage that could easily be put together and taken apart in the field using basic hand tools. Today, anyone can benefit from their fast, easy assembly, low costs, and functionality. No matter how you intend to use a Quonset hut, this buying guide makes it easy to purchase one by providing straightforward pricing information and putting you in contact with multiple suppliers.
Quonset Hut Basics
If you’re thinking of buying a Quonset hut, here’s what you need to know about these versatile metal structures.
- Construction: Quonset huts have a semi-circle shape and are made from corrugated, galvanized, prefabricated steel. While they can be placed on numerous hard, flat surfaces (including concrete, wood, and pilings), their design only permits windows and doors to be placed on the ends, and overhead clearance can be limited as you move away from the hut’s center.
- Simple to build: In traditional construction, the materials are brought to the site and the structure is built. Erecting a Quonset hut, however, is a very different process. Because a Quonset hut is a prefabricated building, the metal components are made in a factory and then shipped to the site and assembled. This makes putting up steel arch buildings not only faster, but also cheaper, as significant money is saved on labor. The simple construction of these structures also makes smaller Quonset hut kits a reasonable do-it-yourself project, enabling you to save even more money.
- Durable and low maintenance: Steel is incredibly strong and can stand up to just about anything Mother Nature can throw at it, including extreme weather, fire, and earthquakes. As a result, Quonset buildings require little, if any, upkeep.
- Flexibility: Rather than asking what a Quonset hut can be used for, it might be more useful to ask what it can’t be used for. Quonset huts are favored by entrepreneurs as a work and/or storage place with low overhead and by farmers to store equipment, feed, and produce or as a place to hold a show. It is also possible to build an athletic facility inside of a Quonset hut, and the arched structures can even be used for residential applications, including as a dormitory, home, or emergency relief structure. Best of all, Quonset hut buildings can easily be adapted to another use and if necessary, disassembled, moved, and reassembled at a new site.
Quonset Hut Average Costs - Samples
Current market prices for metal, local labor costs, and individual supplier costs can all impact Quonset hut prices. Owing to these factors, the following Quonset hut costs should only be used as a general overview.
- You can expect to pay somewhere around $5 to $15 per square foot for a Quonset hut. Adding insulation, multiple doors, windows, skylights, and other add-ons can push the cost of a Quonset hut up to $20 per square foot or more, however.
- For a better idea of how much your Quonset hut might cost per square foot, consider these prices paid by actual customers nationwide:
- About $5 per square foot for a 40’ x 60’ building with 1 drive-in door, 1 walk-in door, and insulation throughout.
- About $9 per square foot for a 70’ x 110’ x 24’ building with 1 double entrance door, 3 exterior doors, and 1 overhead door.
- About $10 per square foot for an 80’ x 80’ structure with 4 doors and 4 inches of insulation on the roof and walls.
- About $10 per square foot for a 25’ x 30’ building with 1 garage door and 1 walk in door.