Get a free case evaluation from our network of lawyers. Our service is 100% free with no obligations to hire an attorney ever!Get Started Now >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Lawyer Articles
DWI Attorney Fees
If you stand accused of driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) an experienced DUI lawyer is an invaluable resource. Even minor DUI charges can carry significant penalties. Serious charges could negatively impact your life for years.
The job of a DUI attorney is to have your charges dropped or reduced. While their services aren't necessarily inexpensive, retaining a lawyer is a far better option than being completely at the mercy of the criminal justice system. Continue reading for more information about how a lawyer can help you beat a DUI, as well as DUI attorney fees.
The Benefits of Hiring a DUI Attorney
To understand why hiring a drunk driving lawyer is so critical, consider the repercussions of a DUI or DWI conviction. Depending on the severity of your charges and whether you are a first time or repeat offender, you could face:
- Loss of license
- Community service
- Mandatory alcohol education courses
- Enrollment in a residential treatment program
- Probation fees
- Increased insurance premiums
- Jail time
- An ignition interlock placed on your vehicle
- Loss of rights (for felony DUI)
Drunk driving attorneys, however, can help you avoid the most serious repercussions of a DUI. The aspects of your case they will analyze in hopes of finding a legal challenge include:
- Whether or not an arresting officer had reasonable cause to make a traffic stop
- The legality of a vehicle search (if you are found in possession of drugs or alcohol)
- The reading of your Miranda Rights
- The credibility of the arresting officer and his or her statements
- Field sobriety test and laboratory test problems or inaccuracies
- Whether you were taking any medications that mimic intoxication
DUI Lawyer Average Cost
The average cost of a DUI is $7,000 to $10,000. As far as the cost of a DUI attorney, that depends on the severity of your charges and how vigorously they are defended, but in general you can expect to pay somewhere around $100 to $400 per hour.
- First time offenders who plead guilty in undisputed cases might pay approximately $500 to $2,500 in DUI attorney fees, while repeat offenders might pay double that amount, or around $1,000 to $5,000 or more.
- When cases go to trial, a DUI/DWI attorney performs much more work, and costs could rise to as much as $2,500 to $25,000 and up.
- In addition to legal DUI fees, defending DUI charges in court might necessitate hiring investigators (around $2,000) and expert witnesses (approximately $2,500 to $5,000) and paying court filing fees.
- Don't forget to factor in other DUI costs, as well. For example, if convicted, you will have to pay fines of around $500 to $1,500 (for your first DUI), and may additionally be required to pay for an education or treatment program ($200 to $2,000), to regain licensing privileges ($100 to $300), for an ignition lock ($300 to $1,300), and more.