How Much Does a Privacy Fence Cost?
Last Updated: January 14, 2022
A privacy fence provides much more than just protection from the eyes of unscrupulous neighbors. To learn more about the different types of privacy fences, why you should consider purchasing one, and how much privacy fencing costs, continue reading this buying guide.
Types of Privacy Fences #
While all privacy fences serve the same function, each offers distinct advantages depending on what material it is constructed from. Below is an overview of wood, vinyl, and metal privacy fences.
- Wood Privacy Fence: The two main criteria when selecting wooden privacy fencing are the type of wood and the design. Pressure treated pine and cedar are commonly used, but you can also purchase a fence made from bamboo, oak, redwood, teak, cypress and other wood varieties. When it comes to wood fence design there is a virtually limitless array of options, ranging from a basic solid wood fence to highly ornamental patterns. Wood privacy fences can also be stained any number of colors.
- Vinyl Privacy Fence: Like wood, vinyl is available in many different styles, ranging from plain to decorative, as well as a number of colors. There are even vinyl fences that resemble stone, iron, and wood grain. Unlike wood, however, vinyl will never need painting and in general, vinyl privacy fences are maintenance free.
- Metal Privacy Fence: Metal privacy fencing is made from either aluminum or chain link. Aluminum privacy fences are lightweight, durable, rust proof, and available in many colors and styles. A more inexpensive privacy metal fence option is chain link fencing covered with slats, fabric screen, or vines.
Benefits of a Privacy Fence #
The bromide "Good fences make good neighbors" is particularly true of a privacy fence that blocks unwanted gazes and unsightly properties. But, a privacy fence provides additional benefits, including the following:
- Security: Privacy fences are a strong criminal deterrent because they hide outdoor valuables from view and make a would-be-burglar take the added risk of climbing over the fence.
- Shelter: A privacy fence provides protection not only from thieves, but also the wind, which can help keep your landscaping intact and reduce drafts in the home, thereby lowering energy bills.
- Value: The added shelter and security offered by a privacy fence can be a major selling point to a potential buyer. The more you spend on a privacy fence, the greater the increase in your property value.
Privacy Fence Average Costs #
The type and quality of the privacy fence installed are the most crucial pricing components. But, additional privacy fence cost factors include local material and labor costs and the complexity of the installation.
- Wooden privacy fence prices average $15 to $35 per linear foot installed, but could be as much as $100 or more per linear foot.
- Vinyl privacy fencing costs approximately $20 to $60 per linear foot installed.
- Aluminum privacy fence has an average cost of $25 to $40 per linear foot, but in some cases could cost $100+ per foot.
- Chain link privacy fence with privacy slats or fabric costs roughly $10 to $30 per linear foot.
- A more natural privacy fencing solution is what's known as a "living wall" made from shrubs, bamboo, and other plants. You could also install a chain link fence covered with vines. The cost of a living wall could be free if you transplant plants you already own. Otherwise, nursery and landscaping costs could reach hundreds or thousands of dollars.