How Much Does Culinary School Cost?
Last Updated: February 01, 2022
On This Page
Is cooking one of your favorite past times? Do you find yourself always seeking new exciting dishes to make? Do you experience personal satisfaction when something you prepared is being enjoyed by others? Maybe you have always thought about taking your love for cooking to a new level. You can combine your natural talent with an education in Culinary Arts education and become part of growing field of opportunity where you love your job!
You may find a large number of schools that offer cooking classes and/or culinary certificates at a reasonable cost. However, it is important to keep in mind that the culinary industry does place a much higher value on an education received from an accredited program. The good news is that just because a program is accredited does not translate to mean it is more expensive.
ACF Accreditation #
The American Culinary Federation (ACF), the largest professional chefs' organization in North America. It determines whether a school's culinary program meets the regulatory standards required to deserve an accredited status. It is an important seal of approval in the culinary industry.
An accredited Culinary School will provide you with the following:
- Higher education and training (in the form of either a Certificate, Associate's, or Bachelor's degree) in the science and art of food preparation
- A certificate or degree that demonstrates you have a level of competency in cooking, awarded only to those who have completed a specified curriculum
- Hands on experience working in a real food service environment (You will want to make sure that the program you choose offers this as part of the curriculum)
How much does Culinary School Cost? #
The costs associated with culinary school include:
- Application fees
- Books and cooking supplies, including uniforms
- Travel expenses
- Room and board (living on campus is mandatory at some schools)
Depending on where you choose to attend culinary school and what type of school you attend, your expected average expenses will vary:
Average Culinary School Prices #
- Community College: $1,500 to $5,000
- Culinary Institute: $8,000 to $37,000
- Public University: $4,000 to $20,000
- Private University: $15,000 to $45,000
How do I Pay for Culinary School? #
Financial Aid - Federal grants and loans can aid in covering the costs that any personal savings or scholarships do not (www.fafsa.gov). It is important to check with your specific school to determine your eligibility for any aid programs they offer. Financial aid is typically awarded based on need.
Scholarships - Scholarships, on average, range from $200 to $2,500. Again, start by finding out if your school of choice offers any in-house scholarships. Then focus on local scholarships opportunities, which you can find through your local high school counseling office, churches, community groups, employers and professional organizations. Finally, don't forget that there are also a variety of national scholarships available.
Find Culinary School Information #
Request information on culinary schools below. Find the school you've been looking for and advance your career today!