How Much Do Portable LCD Projectors Cost?
Last Updated: December 28, 2021
CostOwl.com note: Need an LCD projector at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our LCD projector partners will send you free price quotes.
If you're bouncing from place to place making presentations, the last thing you want to do is lug around a heavy LCD projector. Portable LCD projectors are lightweight and easy to transport. Pack them into a small carrying case, sling it over your shoulder, and you're prepared to make professional presentations on the go.
Contrary to what some people believe, buying a portable LCD projector for the convenience doesn't mean sacrificing quality. Portable projectors are capable of producing high quality video, photo, and computer image presentations.
About Portable LCD Projectors #
Portable LCD projectors weigh anywhere from two to seven pounds. The ultralight models weighing less than five pounds tend to be more expensive than models weighing five to seven pounds.
Portable LCD projectors are sold in several different resolutions:
- SVGA (600x800 pixels) is the lowest resolution and the least expensive. It's the best option if you're going to use the projector for PowerPoint presentations, graphs, charts, and the like.
- XGA (1024x768 pixels) is a higher resolution that is more expensive. It's a better option if you're presenting detailed numerical data, such as in an Excel spreadsheet because the picture is clearer.
- SXGA (1280x1024) and UXGA (1600x1200) have the highest resolutions and the highest price tags. They're really only necessary if you need very fine details to show or are presenting in a large classroom or auditorium.
Aside from resolution, you'll also want to pay attention to:
- The number of lumens - a measure of brightness. You'll want to buy a projector with at least 1,000 lumens.
- Contrast ratio. For clear video images, pictures and graphics, look for a contrast ratio of 400:1 or higher.
Portable LCD Projector Average Costs #
The price of a portable LCD projector depends heavily on the resolution. Lower resolution SVGA projectors usually cost anywhere from $800 to $2,000.
- The Mitsubishi EX24OU portable LCD projector with XGA resolution, 2,500 lumens and a contrast ratio of 2,000 sells for $1,000 to $1,500.
Higher resolution XGA portable projectors range in price from about $1,000 to $5,000.
- The Sanyo PLC-XTC50AL portable projector with XGA resolution and 5,000 lumens sells for $3,500 to $5,000.
With a portable LCD projector, you don't need much in the way of accessories. You won't need to pay extra for projector mounts, a video screen or proper cables. The projectors are often sold with a carrying case and an ACD adapter.
Down the road, budget for replacement LCD projector lamps. They usually run $300 to $600.