Find Local EMR Software Companies & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed.Get Free Quotes >>
Search Our Site
All EMR Software & Service Articles
Get Free EMR Software Price Quotes
OpenMRS (medical records software) allows programming and framing of medical records. OpenMRS is a global community that works together to develop leading open source electronic medical record systems for all healthcare providers. This community comes together to respond to professionals who actively manage and build health systems that support proper management of a variety of illnesses, as well as the general healthcare provision. Generally, it is used by people who need to create medical records. So, what is the advantage of having an OpenMRS and what is the cost of having one? Here we describe the main aspects of its price and the features that you need to consider before purchase it.
Pros of OpenMRS
OpenMRS brings together a worldwide network of professionals and volunteers who come from different careers, including healthcare, technology, and international development. This varied network of experts creates flexible technological platforms that can support the proper delivery of healthcare in the most challenging environments. Systems developed by OpenMRS can be used in clinical and research settings around the globe, for the purpose of improving healthcare around the world. Client's records are easily accessed by all involved in the treatment. The security of information can be threatened, however, by the number of people who can access it.
Points to Consider before Using OpenMRS Systems
- Testing and certification: Any software product designed for the purposes of streamlining medical services or medical care must be tested and certified by the relevant testing and certification authorities.
- Demo: You want to take any software you consider out for a test drive before implementing it. This ensures that you and your team understand how to use it but it also lets you determine its usability and whether it integrates with your current systems.
- Features: Decide which features are must-have, which would be nice to have, and which ones aren't likely to be used at all. Your actual users can help you here, but you should also talk to other providers to discover which features they can't live without. Where possible, practices should opt for systems that offer standard features approved by testing and certification bodies.
- User interface: The ease of access and operation should also be considered. This is because it is vital for doctors to be able to use the software easily without extended training programs. The easier the software, the less you will have to spend on additional training programs.
Cost of Using OpenMRS Systems
OpenMRS provides different software solutions to the healthcare industry. One good example is open source electrical medical records systems. While these systems are completely free, operating them is not, as the networking equipment necessary for implementation can cost as much as several hundred thousand dollars each year, particularly a network router (necessary if you have four or more users). Of course, you also have the cost of your other computing equipment.
Although the software itself is free, potential costs include:
- If your team needs training, expect to pay between $500 and $1,500.
- Upgrading to a paid version costs between $1,500 and $3,000. If you do this, you may also need to pay for updates, which typically cost between $500 and $1,000.
- If you don't have onsite tech support and experience any problem that can't be handled by online support, expect to pay between $300 and $600.