Find Local Building Permit Experts & Get Free Price Quotes. No Obligations & No Credit Card Needed. or Call 866-343-9174.Find Local Pros >>
Search Our Site
Find Us on Facebook
All Builder/Contractor Articles
Building Permit Prices
If you're ready to get a building project off the ground, whether it be a new home, a remodeling, an addition, or any other work that requires a permit, you're probably well aware of the bureaucratic headache that awaits you. One way to lessen the pain of applying for and securing a building permit is to use a building permit service, sometimes referred to as a building permit expediter. This buying guide explains what permit expediters do and provides an overview of how much they charge.
What to Expect From Building Permit Services
One New York City expediter notes that she spends an average of two hours each day waiting in line. “I know what forms you need, and if you don't have them you're going to the back of the line and another week will go by,” she says.
You certainly have better things to do with your time than be jerked around by administrative nitpicking. And while each building permit service differs slightly in what it offers, you can generally expect an expediter to do the following:
- Make inquiries to government agencies and determine what is required for a project.
- Submit necessary documents to agencies for review.
- Regularly perform status checks until plans are approved or corrections are specified.
- Make corrections if needed and submit them to client/architect for approval, and then resubmit to each appropriate agency.
- Perform follow-ups as needed until plans are approved and provide client with status reports.
- Gather all paperwork for the final sign-off, which is the end of the approval process.
Building Permit Service Average Costs
The actual cost of a building permit service will vary depending on your location, the reputability of the firm, the project, and other factors. The following prices are merely meant to provide a general idea of building permit expediter fees.
- You might pay approximately $35 to $70 per hour for building permit expediting services, plus miscellaneous fees (copying, travel, etc.). Half or full day booking are generally cheaper than a single hour.
- Below are permit processing fees for common projects and services. Note that the figures given are starting prices. Real prices could be higher.
- New home: $1,500 to $2,000
- Home addition: $500 to $1,000
- Home remodeling: $300 to $600
- Research permit records: $60 to $70 per hour
- Zoning code research report: $400 to $500
Receive free quotes from multiple permit service professionals. Compare companies and prices to get the best permit service for you. It's fast, easy, and free! Start now!